Young U.S. journalists in all fields of print and broadcast media with a few years of professional experience and solid academic training in journalism can apply. University graduates may be considered if they have a B.A. or M.A. in journalism or other relevant fields and considerable practical experience in the field. Good to very good proficiency in German is essential.
Applicants with a U.S.-German dual citizenship are not eligible.
- U.S. citizenship
- A high level of academic achievement
- A solid project proposal
A new program was created in 1996 to allow young U.S. journalists to come to Germany for a research and practice-oriented experience. The approximately 10-month stay begins in September and typically consists of an initial research phase, during which the grantee becomes familiar with his/her project in a German setting, followed by one or more internships with German institutions of print or broadcast media. The Commission takes candidates' affiliation preferences into consideration.
NUMBER OF GRANTS
- Monthly stipend of currently Euro 1.300
- International travel (according to the guidelines set by the Fulbright Commission)
- Incidental allowance of Euro 1.000
- Health insurance
- The Fulbright Commission offers intensive language courses (approximately six weeks in duration) in Germany to those grantees whose German language ability is not sufficient at the beginning of the grant to pursue their projects.
- Current German visa regulations require a valid passport for American grantees traveling to Germany. The Fulbright Commission assists its grantees in applying for a residence permit after arrival.
- Orientation and mid-year meetings
- Administrative and academic support through the Fulbright Commission
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & DEADLINES
Further information and application materials can be obtained from the Institute of International Education (IIE).
All applications will be reviewed by special selection committees, and grants are awarded in competition and depending on funds available.
Oranienburger Straße 13-14