The German-American Fulbright Program implements Senator J. William Fulbright's visionary concept: The promotion of mutual understanding between our two countries through academic and bicultural exchange.
The Fulbright Program has international outreach, providing exchanges between the United States and over 180 countries and territories worldwide. More than fifty permanent commissions support the work of the Fulbright Program on the binational level, among them the German-American Commission. Annually more than 4,500 scholars, American and foreign, participate in the Fulbright exchange. Since the inception of the Fulbright Program in 1946, it has sponsored over a quarter of a million scholars.
The largest and most varied of the Fulbright programs worldwide, the German-American Fulbright Program has sponsored over 40,000 Germans and Americans since its inception in 1952.
The defining characteristic of the program is student exchange. This core program is complemented by academic year programs for professors, teachers, teaching assistants, and journalists; summer internship programs for students; and seminars for experts in university administration and German and American Studies.
The Fulbright Commission is a binational board consisting of the German Foreign Minister and the American Ambassador to Germany, who act as honorary chairmen, and five German and five American members, all of whom are appointed by the honorary chairmen. Guidelines are provided by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, whose members are appointed by the President of the United States. The program is administered by the Secretariat located in Berlin, Germany; the Secretariat's partner on the American side is the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in the U.S. Department of State.